Vomiting and Type 1 Diabetes - "Never Assume"
Every person with Type 1 Diabetes who has nausea or vomiting MUST be assumed to have diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA) until proven otherwise.
- Vomiting requires URGENT assessment by checking blood glucose and blood ketones.
- RAPID deterioration can occur in DKA and may be life-threatening.
- NEVER ASSUME that the cause of vomiting is food poisoning, “gastro”, excessive alcohol, migraine, coeliac contamination or any other cause until it is clear that:
- Insulin has been effectively administered and
- Blood glucose and blood ketones are not elevated.
Dr Peter Goss FRACP (Vic)
Australian Paediatric Society Diabetes Committee
5th August 2021